Ever Found Flat Batteries Just When You Need Them to Start the Engine?
NEW ! The Rutland 504 follows the highly successful 503 model and is new for the 2009 season………..
- Ever had perfect weather but been caught out by flat batteries delaying your sail?
- Are you putting up with the inconvenience of removing and refitting batteries between trips?
- What if you decided to sail longer distance than normal with a stop over. How are you going to keep your batteries charged?
You already know the answer, it's to install a small wind generator on your vessel.
- Experience the convenience and satisfaction of starting the engine from a fully powered battery and set sail without delay!
- No more lifting heavy batteries on and off board and the added benefit of extended battery life from well charged batteries!
- One less thing to worry about - you'll have piece of mind that your electric supply is secure and always available!
The Rutland 504 Windcharger has been designed for just this purpose and with the weekend yachtsman in mind. It's the ideal trickle charger and is particularly suited to vessels less that 10m in length with battery banks typically around 100Ah. While the boat is unattended the Rutland 504 will be replenishing your batteries using the free and abundant power in the wind so you return to fully charged batteries. During longer spells on board the Rutland 504 will provide invaluable topping up so you can comfortably use the cabin lights and other low energy appliances.
The Rutland 504 is so lightweight, portable and easy to handle that it is also well suited to the needs of motorhome owners. A portable land tower and rigging kit is available too.
At home the Rutland 504 can be used to run a garden pump or fountain or even to provide safe low voltage lighting to a shed or garage.
Gallery - Click image to see more details
- Trickle charges in windspeeds as low as 5 knots
- That means more running time, more power generated
- "Safety turbine" is a single injection moulding joining the tips of the 6 aerofoil blades with an outer ring
- Where space is at a premium on board the outer ring provides protection from the spinning blade tips
- The blades won't get tangled in your rigging
- Low friction 3 phase alternator
- gives a smooth and silent output
- The Rutland 504 generator's design is Marlec's unique high inertia alternator
- It maintains momentum between gusts of wind like a flywheel where other turbine designs stall
- This adds up to more free power generated into your battery
- Produces 25 Watts in 19 knots
- That's a very useful nominal 2A @ 12V charge into the battery
- Produces up to 60 Watts, nominally 5 Amps @ 12 Volts
- For the 2009 season we have introduced a new streamlined design
- Latest and improved materials have greater UV stability
- Innovation is our watchword so we can continuously deliver best efficiencies and quality in our products
- Brushless alternator and fixed shaft
- Our unique design features a fixed rather than rotating shaft which negates the need for brushgear. It is a simple and maintenance-free design
- The alternator windings and magnets are encapsulated in glass fibre for improved protection against stator winding failure
- 360 degree free rotation on the mounting pole
- The "Post Adaptor" that secures the turbine to the pole carries the slipring and brushgear enabling the turbine to rotate 360degrees freely to find the wind without wires twisting inside the mounting pole
- This post adaptor is distinctively blue anodised enabling the user to select either an aluminium or stainless steel pole without corrosion concerns
- Durable construction and modern materials
- Marlec uses modern, durable materials giving our customers products with many years of trouble free service even under the harsh conditions of a marine environment
- Turbine diameter of 510mm
- The Rutland 504 very efficiently converts wind power into useable energy from a conveniently small turbine diameter
- Compact turning radius of just 304mm
- Ideal when space is at a premium at the stern of the boat
A charge controller fitted to your system will ensure:
- The system operates automatically
- Prevents damage to your batteries through over voltage
….so if the batteries become fully charged in your absence from the site the batteries will not be overcharged. All Marlec charge controllers include LED's for simple indication of the system's operation, advanced models include LCD's to indicate battery voltage, charge current and other features.
Which type of regulator is recommended?
Marlec has a range of regulators designed for use with wind, solar or hybrid systems (combined wind & solar).
- Choose the unit that best matches your windcharger or solar panel. If you plan to later expand your system we suggest that you choose a regulator that will accommodate the planned system growth. For example, you might decide to install a windcharger initially but plan to add a solar panel later to supplement your power requirements particularly in the summer or if you intend to cruise in warm climates.
- Decide what features you would like the regulator to incorporate. Overcharge protection with simple system indication or if you want to be able to see detail of how the system is performing.
The table below shows the regulators suitable for use with Rutland Windcharger models and the appropriate regulators to choose. The box completed also indicates the capacity of solar panels that can be connected in parallel through that same regulator. Click on the model name to find detailed specifications.
|Rutland 504 Windcharger
||+ 100W solar
||+ 160W Solar
||For use at 12V only + 100W solar|
|Rutland 913 Windcharger
||+ 160W solar
||12V or 24V + 100W solar|
|Rutland Furlmatic 910-3 Windcharger
||+ 160W solar
||12V or 24V + 100W solar|